Archive | The Tour

RSS feed for this section

RITCHIE HOME c.1832

ritchie-home

Owned by Tom and Margaret Ritchie 7566 Berney’s Station Road The property was originally purchased in 1838 in the midst of a cotton boom. It has been the site of a one-room schoolhouse, a train stop, and decades later, a ranch for racehorses with a large track and sparkling lake. This home was originally built […]

THE LEWIS HOUSE AND GARDENS

Lewis-House-and-Gardens

Home of Lea Lewis 120 South Oak Lane Sam Lewis’ vision for a French home with architectural gardens has come alive through his hard work and the efforts of his wife in his memory. Lewis trained as a registered forester and developed his appreciation for trees, shrubs and their use in designing outdoor spaces. The […]

THE COTTAGE AT MT. IDA c.2009

Mount-Ida

The cottage at Mt. Ida, owned by Dr. and Mrs. Jim Davis, was constructed in 2009 by Graham Davis Builders. Becky and Jim Davis enjoy it as a place of retreat—a place to garden, to walk in the woods, and enjoy the view of fields, sky and the Rebecca Range from the cottage front porch. […]

MT. IDA c.2007

Mount-Ida-House

Home of Cris Picard, Anne Davis & daughter, Elise 3910 Whiting Road Mt. Ida – site of the antebellum Reynolds plantation, located ten miles south of Talladega, is now the home of the Picard family: Cris, Anne and Elise. Unlike the Reynolds plantation house, the new Mt. Ida is a prairie-style home, inspired by the […]

JOHNSON-BOWDEN HOME c.1907

Johnson-Weaver-Home

Home of Russell Bowden 414 Cherry Street This home was designed by Frank Lockwood of Montgomery, built by Dr. Hal Johnson and features American vignoli columns capped with scamozzi capitals. It is thought that Mary and Lawrence Dumas were the first to occupy the house. Shortly thereafter, Mr. J. F. Hanks, a local merchant, bought […]

SUGAR HILL c. 1835

sugar-hill

Home of Joe and Pam Power 610 East Street Sugar Hill was believed to have been built in 1835 by William Chilton who was later an Associate Justice of the Alabama Supreme Court.  Originally it was constructed of two post and beam homes that were joined together, with the front porch facing North.  A second […]